The John Muir Health Child Safety Coalition seeks to reduce injury, disability, and death to children in motor vehicle crashes by increasing the proper use of child restraint systems. Over 2,000 car seats are checked annually by nationally certified child passenger technicians at drive-through car seat clinics and designated car seat fitting stations. Car seats are checked at the John Muir Health Women's Health Center in Walnut Creek.
In addition to providing the equipment to the clinics and stations, John Muir Health also provides about 150 low-income families each year with the chance to have their car seats checked.
To sign up for a Car Seat Check-up appointment at the John Muir Health Women’s Health Center, call (925) 941-7900 (option #3) or register online. To learn more about the other John Muir Health Child Safety Coalition fitting stations and car seat check-up events schedule, call (925) 941-7989 or (925) 941-4263.
- In 2010, 2,057 car seat checks were conducted on installed and uninstalled car seats at two JMH facility fitting stations and community events
- 31 educational events were conducted and 466 parents were provided with information on proper car seat installation and precaution measures
- 80 percent of car seats checked were identified as being improperly installed and 7 percent were deemed “unusable”
Coalition Member Agencies
- California Highway Patrol
- The police departments of Benicia, El Cerrito, Martinez, , Walnut Creek, Danville, and San Ramon
- The fire departments of El Cerrito, Moraga-Orinda, Pinole, Richmond and Contra Costa County
- AAA Traffic Safety, Concord