The Teen Pregnancy Resource Program at the Women's Health Center provides free educational classes for pregnant teens in Contra Costa through partnerships with community schools and agencies in Antioch, Brentwood, Pittsburg, Concord, Richmond, Byron, Oakley, Bay Point, and Knightsen.
The program includes emotional support, and free classes on childbirth, infant and child CPR and safety, breastfeeding, car seat safety check as well as moms' groups.
Participating referral sites include: Pittsburg Independent Learning High School, Independence High School (Brentwood), Contra Costa Office of Education, Crossroads High School (Concord), County Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program in Pittsburg, Brighter Beginnings (Antioch), La Clínica de la Raza, The Ashanti House, and Muir OB/GYN.
The Women's Health Center (helped) her think beyond childbirth and child care.
Dionne, 17, is pregnant for the first time. She currently lives with her mother, She was offered the opportunity to take the "financial literacy" class along with her selections of Infant and Child CPR/Safety, Newborn Care, Breastfeeding and Prepared Childbirth classes. She stated that the classes were extremely helpful in preparing for the birth and care of her child but was most helpful was the financial class. She and her baby's father attended the class together. Before this class she admitted, "I never really thought about money. I knew I would need some to take care of my baby but never thought about how to manage what little I had." She said the financial literacy class shocked her into the reality of the benefits of budgeting and saving, "no matter how much or little you have, budgeting and saving just makes sense." She thanked the Women's Health Center for helping her think beyond childbirth and child care.
- In 2011, 29 teens particpated in the program.
- 44 percent of teen participants completed four prenatal or parenting education courses
- Of the mothers that delivered, 100 percent delivered at full term without complications and 91 percent were breastfeeding after 3 weeks
- Contra Costa County Office of Education
- Crossroads High School, Concord
- Independence High School, Brentwood
- Independent Learning High School, Pittsburg
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Pittsburg
- Muir OB/GYN
- La Clinica Monument
- Shasta Diablo Planned Parenthood
- Healthy Start
- Contra Costa County Health Services affiliated OB/GYN Physicians