But if they are constantly hungry and want to feed all the time, are taking too long to feed, or are difficult to wake up for feeding time, they may be having a problem with breastfeeding.
John Muir Health offers breastfeeding support even before your baby is born.
Monitoring the baby’s weight is an effective way of determining if there are feeding issues. Shortly after birth, babies lose 5-8% of their birth weight, but they usually gain it all back by day 10. The rate at which you are changing soiled diapers should correlate with the baby’s age through the first six days – so two diapers on day two, three diapers on day three, etc.
A number of issues may contribute to why a baby is having breastfeeding issues, from the baby having difficulty latching on to the breast to the mother having difficulty producing milk.
A Full Range of Breastfeeding Support Options
Even before your baby is born, we offer classes and other resources to prepare you for breastfeeding. If, after having the baby, you experience breastfeeding issues, we will work with you to come up with a solution that is satisfactory to you and meets your baby’s nutritional needs. Our breastfeeding support options include:
- MuirMommies – 80% of breastfeeding success is based on having strong support. These popular, free weekly group sessions welcome new moms and cover feeding and other newborn issues that your baby faces during the first year of life, including breastfeeding. The sessions are also a great way for moms to make friends and provide each other moral support.
- Individual Lactation Appointments – At any time after the birth you may schedule a private, one-on-one consultation with a certified lactation consultant. She will listen to your concerns and provide you with guidance for any breastfeeding challenges you are experiencing.
- Free Phone Support – A lactation consultant is available 7 days a week to answer any basic questions and to help you find more information about breastfeeding. Call (925) 941-7900 for help.
- Breastfeeding Essentials – Our team of experts helps you rent a breast pump or helps you find the pump to purchase and provides certified bra fittings. We have both a boutique and an online shop that feature books and breastfeeding supplies.
- Breastfeeding Classes – Taught by a lactation expert, these classes cover nutrition, comfortable breastfeeding positions, common challenges, and best practices for breast milk pumping and storage for both individual infants and multiples.