Volunteers from the Senior Transportation Program (STP) of Caring Hands Volunteer Caregiver Program drive frail, isolated, and disabled individuals over the age of 60 to medical appointments. For many seniors, STP is the only safe and reliable mode of transportation to and from medical appointments. Many participating seniors manage at least one chronic illness.
The volunteer not only provided me with a ride, but also was great company.
"Thank you, STP. Without a ride, I would not have been able to get to my doctor's appointment."
- In 2011, the program served 138 seniors with a total of 976 one-way assisted rides.
- 93 percent of seniors surveyed reported that STP made getting to doctors appointments more convenient to extremely convenient.
- For many seniors STP is their only mode of reliable and safe transportation to and from medical appointments. Having access to health care is vital to their quality of life and health as many participating seniors manage at least one chronic illness and related disabilities.
- La Clínica de la Raza
- Tice Valley Oaks (HUD housing)
- Sycamore Place (HUD housing)
- Catholic Charities
- Jewish Children's Services