As a Summer Intern, you will work 40 hours per week performing clerical tasks in a John Muir Health department. A weekly ROP health career exploration class is included. Upon successful completion of the summer internship, you will receive 5 elective high school credits.
Summer Intern Attributes
We are seeking mature, hard working interns who have good school attendance and who are interested in learning about career opportunities in healthcare. Commitment to the full internship time is a must.
We hire approximately 40 exceptional interns each summer at our Concord and Walnut Creek hospitals and other outpatient facilities. We will attempt to place interns in an area of their interest, although this is not always possible due to the popularity of certain departments. The work in all departments is clerical.
Our hiring process includes completing an on-line application, available for only three weeks starting mid-February, a phone interview, in-person interviews and a written essay. School attendance record is given significant consideration. In some cases, depending upon the department sought, applicants may be required to complete a skills test evaluating their Microsoft Office Skills.
Students will need to provide emergency contact information, undergo a health system standard health clearance and attend an intensive orientation. Interns are required to read about and understand information on HIPAA and confidentiality laws.
- Applicants should complete all paperwork and essays independently.
- Applicants are evaluated on:
- A complete and accurate online application, including cover letter, resume, paragraph of career goals and other items as described in the online job description
- Professional writing in all communications: please properly capitalize words, do not use all CAPS, texting language or slang
- Professional demeanor and attire
- Interest in healthcare careers
- Availability during the full summer session. The summer session runs from mid-June through mid-August, based on the summer vacation schedule each school year. Students who cannot be present throughout those dates are not eligible to participate, due to ROP requirements.
- Students who have been interns through this program during a previous summer are not eligible.
Check out a couple sample resumes to get an idea of the type of resume we're looking for:
Review our frequently asked questions about the summer internship program.
For more information, contact our Summer Intern Coordinator