In the unlikely event your baby needs extra medical attention after your delivery, you can take comfort in knowing we're prepared.
The Family Birth Center's neonatal intensive care nursery is designed to meet the special needs of premature or ill babies. Our specialists are available around the clock to provide the nurturing environment and expert care you and your newborn require.
We know it's important your newborn has every resource available to help her thrive. Our designation as a community level III intensive care neonatal nursery means severely premature and critically ill babies are in good hands.
Our neonatal intensive care nursery has:
- A dedicated neonatologist
- Access to doctors in many pediatric specialties
- Compassionate nurses with specialized training in neonatal care
- A devoted support staff, including respiratory therapists, dieticians, lactation consultants and social workers
- State-of-the art monitoring and alarm systems
- The latest in respiratory and resuscitation equipment
Building a bond
The early days of your baby's life are important and the bond you develop with your newborn is critical to her overall well-being. We believe your close participation in your baby's care is essential.
Every situation is different, but there are many ways you may be able to interact with your baby in the neonatal intensive care nursery, including:
- Breastfeeding your baby
- Kangaroo care (skin-to-skin contact)
- Touching or massaging your baby
- Talking, reading or singing to your baby
- Changing your baby's diaper
- Giving your baby her first bath
- Taking your baby's temperature
Sometimes babies have to stay in the neonatal intensive care nursery for several months. If your baby is with us for a long period of time, our televisit program lets families visit hospitalized infants from home with a videophone.
Getting your baby home
Meeting the special emotional and developmental needs of ill and premature babies requires more than the best technology and medicine. It also demands a supportive environment for you and your newborn.
Our neonatal intensive care nursery has among the highest success rates when compared to similar hospitals. But the best outcome for us is when the newest member of your family gets to go home.