Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a type of medical treatment that works by increasing the amount of oxygen in the blood. It’s often used in conjunction with additional therapies to facilitate healing.
During hyperbaric oxygen therapy, you breathe 100% oxygen inside a special chamber. At the same time, the pressure surrounding your body is slowly increased to two to three times normal atmospheric pressure.
At John Muir Medical Center, Walnut Creek, we provide hyperbaric oxygen treatments in one-person chambers, allowing for comfortable, private treatment. Each chamber is constructed using clear plastic material, so you can visit with family or friends or even watch TV during treatment.
Hyperbaric oxygen treatment has many therapeutic benefits, including:
- Greatly increases oxygen concentration in all body tissues
- Shortens the healing time of stubborn wounds
- Stimulates the growth of new blood vessels in areas of reduced circulation
- Enhances white blood cells’ efficiency in killing bacteria and controlling infections
- Helps treat chronic bone infections (osteomyelitis)
- Preserves skin grafts, flaps, and other tissues where circulation is suddenly reduced
- Reduces swelling (edema)
- Reverses damage to tissues exposed to radiation therapy
- Reduces effects of carbon monoxide exposure
Your Doctor Is Part of Our Team
We require a physician referral for our services, which are designed to complement the care your doctor provides. He or she participates in developing your treatment plan and is informed of your progress every step of the way.
Many health care plans include hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Check with your insurance provider to see what’s covered. Bring your insurance card or membership information to your appointment.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call (925) 947-3212.