To get the most detailed information about a physician, call his or her office. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- What is the doctor’s training and experience?
- Does the office accept your insurance?
- Where is the office located?
- Is it convenient to get there? (Is there ample parking? Is the office accessible by public transportation?)
- What are the office hours? (Is it important to you that evening and weekend hours are an option?)
- Which hospitals does the doctor use?
- Where are routine lab studies and X-rays performed?
- If a particular medical condition were to arise, which specialists would your primary care doctor refer you to?
- How many doctors are in the practice?
- Who covers for the physician when he or she is away?
- Will the doctor discuss your health concerns by e-mail or over the phone?
- How long is the wait for appointments?
- Can you be seen on the same day if you have an urgent need?
- How much time is typically allowed for a routine visit?
- If an appointment is canceled, is there a charge?
- Does the office process claims for insurance, or do you have to pay up front for services and file the claims yourself?
When you're choosing a primary care physician, quality care is right around the corner with John Muir Health. Call (925) 952-2887 or referrals to our top rated physicians with offices throughout Contra Costa County and also in Alameda and southern Solano counties. Visit johnmuirhealth.com/findadoctor to browse an online directory, including doctors’ personal videos.