Being well prepared to interview potential pediatricians will help you find the right one—one who is aligned with your approach to wellness and who will support you throughout your parenting journey.
Getting to Know the Pediatrician
- How long have you been in practice?
- Why did you choose pediatrics?
- Do you have areas of specialized training? Or special interests within the field of pediatrics?
- Are you board-certified by the American Board of Pediatrics?
- Which hospitals are you affiliated with?
- What is the schedule for well-baby and well-child visits?
- What are your views on vaccinations?
- What is your health philosophy on important topics:
- Strategies to support breastfeeding
- Use of antibiotics
- Complementary medicine
- Sleep training
- Approaches to challenging behavior
Understanding How the Office is Run
- How does your group practice work together?
- Will another pediatrician sometimes see my child?
- What are the office hours? Does the practice offer video visits?
- Does your office offer same day sick appointments?
- Does the practice use electronic medical records?