About Gynecologic Oncologists
A gynecologic oncologist is a surgeon who specializes specifically on the diagnosis and treatment of cancers within a woman’s reproductive system. In addition to a four-year residency in obstetrics and gynecology, a gynecologic oncologist also pursues three to four additional years of intensive subspecialty training through an accredited gynecologic oncology fellowship.
Better Outcomes Through Highly Specialized Care
Studies repeatedly show that women treated by a gynecologic oncologist are more likely to have better outcomes, including higher survival rates, than those treated by non-specialists. Due to the extra years of subspecialty training, gynecologic oncologists have a remarkable breadth of specialized skills—from advanced diagnostic capability to surgical skills for the removal of tumors, and even the administration of chemotherapy.
Our Gynecologic Cancer Program
Beyond offering the best possible care and the most advanced treatment options available, we believe in empowering you with the knowledge to be an integral part of the decision-making process. Throughout your treatment and recovery, we make sure you know exactly what to expect and what options are available to you—as we’re firm believers that expert care, combined with a supportive environment, helps with the healing process.
In addition to diagnosing and treating gynecologic cancers, we also offer genetic counseling and testing for women who may be at high risk for developing one.
Conditions We Treat
- Ovarian cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Uterine cancer / sarcomas
- Endometrial cancer
- Vaginal cancer
- Vulvar cancer
- High risk or hereditary cancers
- Gestational trophoblastic diseases
- Complex benign cases
Why Choose John Muir Health
- Surgical Expertise: Our experienced gynecologic oncology surgeons have performed more than 1,900 surgeries since 2007, including more than 660 gynecologic robotic surgery cases, with outcomes that are among the best in the nation.
- Multi-Disciplinary Tumor Board: Our expert cancer team reviews every case and collaboratively creates an individualized treatment plan, unique to your needs. This team includes our gynecologic oncology surgeons, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, medical imaging specialists, pathologists, research staff, a clinical trials nurse, a genetic counselor, as well as your dedicated nurse navigator.
- Dedicated Nurse Navigator: Your nurse navigator compassionately guides and helps you and your family cope with and understand your cancer diagnosis and recommended treatment options. Additionally, your nurse navigator connects you with community and support resources, as well as facilitates communication with your care team.
- Advanced Treatment Options: We offer a wide array of the most advanced treatment options available using state-of-the-art technology—from minimally invasive, robotic surgery using the daVinci surgical system to HIPEC “hot” chemotherapy. Learn more about the Treatments We Offer.
- Comprehensive Care: We recognize that cancer has a wide range of both physical and emotional effects. That’s why we offer a team of specialized oncology nurses and social workers, as well as your dedicated nurse navigator, to help you and your family cope with your cancer by connecting you with support groups and survivorship programs.
- Clinical Trials: We have a number of open trials that our patients can choose to participate in, and we are continuously adding new trials for each type of gynecologic cancer. View our current clinical trials.
- Integrated Network Cancer Program Accreditation: Our program has been recognized by the American College of Surgeons for adhering to the highest standards of care. We’re proud to be the only health care system in the Bay Area with this accreditation, which we’ve continuously held since 2009.
For questions about our gynecologic cancer program or to make an appointment, please call (925) 947-3322.