Utilization Review Process
Service authorization ensures that medically necessary services are provided at the most appropriate level for the John Muir Health Physician Network HMO members. John Muir Health Physician Network makes the following affirmations regarding the utilization review process:
- Utilization Review decision making is based only on appropriateness of care and service.
- John Muir Health Physician Network does not specifically reward practitioners or other individuals conducting utilization review for issuing denials of coverage or service.
- Financial incentives for utilization review decision makers do not encourage decisions that result in underutilization.
- Routine service requests are processed within 5 business days of receipt of all information necessary to make a determination. Routine service requested received after 3:00 pm are considered to be received on the next business day.
- Requests for medically urgent services are processed within 72 hours of receipt of the request.
For questions regarding the utilization review process, policies or decisions, please call (925) 952-2887 or (844) 398-5376, TTY/TDD users may call 711.
Medical Review Criteria
John Muir Health Physician Network utilizes written criteria based on sound clinical evidence in the review of requests for medical services. Criteria are consistently applied to service requests based on the needs or each individual patient.
The criteria utilized in the review process of a specific request is available to providers, members, and the general public upon request. Request for criteria can be made in writing, by fax or by telephone. Please submit written requests to:
John Muir Health Physician Network
Care Management Department
1450 Treat Blvd. #300
Walnut creek, CA 94598
The numbers for telephone or fax requests are:
Telephone: (925) 952-2887 or (844) 398-5376, TTY/TDD users may call 711
Fax: (925) 952-2865