Residency Application and Matching
Beginning September 2017, John Muir Health will accept applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) only. Upon completion of your ERAS application, you need to also register for the match program through the National Resident Matching Program® (NRMP) and select the program(s) you would like to match. We will match our second class of eight residents in March 2018 to begin in June 2018.
Application and Interview Criteria
To be considered for application and interview for JMH FM Residency, the following will be required:
- Official documentation that certifies satisfactory completion of requirements for graduation from a medical school approved by The Medical Board of California
- Graduation must be within the last 3 years.
- California Letter of Acceptance (PTAL) for International Medical Graduates only
- Certificate must be in-hand by the time of application submission
- Valid and current ECFMG certification and ability to start residency July 1st 2018
- Passing score on the ECFMG English Language Proficiency.
- ECFMG certificate must be in-hand at the time of application submission.
- In conversation the applicant must demonstrate a clear command of spoken English, both in clarity of enunciation and pronunciation and in conversational understanding.
- US Citizen or a Permanent Resident. We cannot sponsor J or H visas
- Passing scores on USMLE Step 1 and 2:
- Step 1: Minimum passing score, with one failure accepted
- Step 2: Minimum passing score, with one failure accepted
- Certificates must be in-hand by February 1st, 2018
- No failure on the Step 2 CS accepted
- At least one letter of recommendation must reflect U.S. primary care clinical experience with a minimum of one month direct patient care.
- Research experience will not be counted as clinical experience
- Application Deadline is November 17, 2017
In addition, the applicant must meet all other eligibility criteria established by the John Muir Health System.
"I was impressed with the quality of patient care, quality of the education and the accommodating staff that helped make this experience excellent."
K.K. - UCSF 3rd year medical student
Post Graduate Year 1 applicants must submit:
- ERAS application
- Personal statement/biography
- Curriculum vitae
- Medical school transcript
- Dean’s letter
- Letters of reference from three faculty members (clinical years)
- United States Medical Licensing Examination® (USMLE) scores
- COMLEX scores
Residency Interview Day
If you have a spouse or significant other, he or she is welcome to join you on your tour and for lunch with us. If traveling from out of the area, we’re happy to provide suggestions on where to stay and what to do while you are in the area.
We anticipate that interview dates will fill quickly. If your plans change and you will be unable to attend, please notify us as soon as possible so that we may open the date for another candidate.
Typical Resident Interview Day Schedule
Program Director Interviews (Group B)
Tour Facilities (Group B)
Clinic Tour & Group Interview (Group B)
Faculty Interviews (Group B)
How To Apply For A 4th Year Clerkship
We will start accepting clerkship applications in January 2017, for clerkships beginning summer of 2017. View details about our clerkship program, including how to apply.