Whether your doctor just diagnosed you with diabetes, or you need help to control it, we can assist you in taking care of yourself to prevent or delay the serious problems diabetes may cause.
Diabetes is a disease that affects almost every part of your body — but it’s a disease that you can learn to manage. Your healthcare team at John Muir Health can help.
Our goal is to empower individuals to manage their diabetes and reduce the risk for long-term complications. You are the most important member of our team and we want to support your efforts.
John Muir Health has long been a leader in providing diabetes care in our region. The American Diabetes Association recognizes our program for meeting the national standards for self-management education and support. These standards ensure that our program is comprehensive and well organized and that it is designed to help you understand the disease and learn to manage it.
Education for a healthy future
The first step to managing your diabetes is learning about it. Our staff of certified diabetes educators is committed to providing you with the tools you need by offering comprehensive health education that will help you live an active, healthy life with diabetes.
Individual appointments and group classes are available to support your needs.
Programs and Services
- Diabetes Prevention: This class is an essential resource for learning about changes to your lifestyle that may help you prevent type 2 diabetes.
- Diabetes Education* Program: This program offers a series of classes and individual appointments to help you learn about diabetes basics, nutrition, exercise, blood glucose (sugar) monitoring, oral medication, insulin, stress management, other important aspects of your diabetes care to help you gain better control of your diabetes.
- Insulin start: If your treatment plan requires insulin, we will teach you about how insulin works, the specifics about the type of insulin you are using and other important insulin basics that help you gain the self-care skills that are needed to achieve better control of your diabetes.
- Diabetes and pregnancy: If you are a woman with diabetes who’s ready to start a family, or you’ve developed diabetes during your pregnancy, we will help you learn to protect your health and the health of your baby.
- Intensive Insulin Therapy and Pump Instruction: This advanced course outlines intensive insulin therapy and the use of an insulin pump and/or continuous glucose monitoring to achieve your health goals. You will learn about insulin management, carbohydrate counting, blood glucose pattern management, and insulin adjustment.
- Support Groups: John Muir Health offers an American Diabetes Association support group to help alleviate your fears and frustrations. We welcome you to join us. These support group offers an opportunity for you to meet with others and share your experiences, and there are often featured topics regarding diabetes education and self-management.
- Walnut Creek support group meets the 2nd Saturday from 9:30 to 11:30 AM each month. Call (925) 941-7900 Option 1 for more information.
- Insulin pump support group is an opportunity for anyone interested in an insulin pump or is currently using pump therapy to meet and share their experiences. Call (925) 941-5076 for more information regarding the current schedule of meetings/topics.
For questions regarding our diabetes services, please call us at (925) 941-5076
Awards & Recognition
John Muir Health is recognized by the American Diabetes Association.
- American Diabetes Association
- Medline Plus: Diabetes