Whether your doctor just diagnosed you with diabetes, or you need help to control it, we can assist you in taking care of yourself to prevent or delay the serious problems diabetes may cause.
Diabetes is a disease that affects almost every part of your body — but it’s a disease that you can learn to manage. Your healthcare team at John Muir Health can help.
Our goal is to empower individuals to manage their diabetes and reduce the risk for long-term complications. You are the most important member of our team and we want to support your efforts.
John Muir Health has long been a leader in providing diabetes care in our region. The American Diabetes Association and The Joint Commission for hospital accreditation recognize our diabetes center as being in the forefront of treatment advances.
Education for a healthy future
The first step to managing your diabetes is learning about it. Our staff of certified diabetes educators is committed to providing you with the tools you need by offering comprehensive health education that will help you live an active, healthy life with diabetes.
Individual appointments and group classes are available to support your needs.
Programs and Services
- Diabetes Prevention: Learn about changes to your lifestyle that may help you avoid Type 2 diabetes.
- Diabetes Care & Management: Learn about nutrition, exercise, blood glucose (sugar) monitoring, oral medication, insulin, and other ways to keep your blood glucose in range.
- Insulin Start: If your treatment plan requires insulin, this class will instruct you about insulin management and carbohydrate counting based on your individual needs.
- Diabetes in Pregnancy: If you are a woman with diabetes who’s ready to start a family, or you’ve developed diabetes during your pregnancy, we will help you learn to protect your health and the health of your baby.
- Intensive Insulin Therapy and Pump Instruction: This advanced course outlines intensive insulin therapy and the use of an insulin pump to achieve your health goals. In this class, you will learn about insulin management, carbohydrate counting, blood glucose pattern management, and insulin adjustment.
- Diabetes Exercise Program: Exercise is one of the most important components of good diabetes management. Our Exercise Physiologist works with you to establish a personalized plan to help keep you fit. Activities include treadmills, stationary bikes, step machines, seated steppers, rowers, and weight equipment. There is a monthly fee to participate in this program and you must have a doctor’s referral. Call (925) 947-5254 for class dates and times.
- Support Groups: John Muir Health offers three diabetes support groups to help alleviate your fears and frustrations. We welcome you to join us. These support groups offer an opportunity for you to meet with others and share your experiences, and there are often featured topics regarding diabetes education and self management.
- Walnut Creek support group meets the 2nd Saturday from 9:30 to 11:30 AM each month. Call (925) 941-7900 Option 1 for more information.
- Insulin pump support group is an opportunity for our “pumpers” and/or those interested in pump therapy to meet and share their experiences. Call (925) 941-5076 for more information regarding the current schedule of meetings/topics.